Hosting Events in the Student Centers During COVID-19
COVID-19 has changed the way events will work in the Student Centers for the 2020-2021 academic year. Your first step before reserving space and planning an event with us will be to get your event approved. If an event can be successfully held virtuall, it should be strongly considered. If you would like to move ahead with getting an in-person event approved:
- For Departments: Your event will need to be submitted, reviewed, and approved via the Vice President’s Office. The In-Person Programming and Event Request form is available here or on the Go Forward website. Please complete and submit via the instructions on the form; if you should receive an event approval, you may reach out to a member of our event management staff to request space.
- For Student Organizations: Your event request will need to be submitted, review, and approved via application to the Center for Leadership and Involvement and the Student Centers. For more details on the process of considering and submitting an in-person event, visit: https://leadership.uchicago.edu/.
Please Note: An application for an event is not guarantee of approval, nor is an approved event a guarantee of space in the Student Centers. All space requests will be evaluated on an ad hoc basis and in consideration with current guidance on COVID from the University, city, and state.
Marketplace Distribution – Reynolds Club
Departments and Student Organizations may have need to distribute tangible items to students during this time. The Student Centers have set-up a COVID-conscious way for departments and Student Organizations to distribute these items, when necessary. Our full Marketplace Distribution Overview for the Reynolds Club is available here. Please be mindful and prepared to work through these components before inputting a request.
Mandel Hall Video Streaming
The Student Centers team has been hard at work to provide new equipment and resources for video streaming and recording in Mandel Hall. We are now capable of providing 1-2 camera video shoots to produce live event streams or staged video and audio recording sessions. Recorded material can be taken to be edited and distributed at a later time if a higher level of post-production is desired (The Student Centers do not provide any post-production services at this time). Our primary goal is to offer a socially distanced experience, without making the video production cost prohibitive. For more information, watch the video below our contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a consultation call with our team.
The Event Collaboration Workgroup has worked to put together a few resources that will be helpful in considering how to proceed with approved in-person events.
- The Best Practices for In-Person Events document is in final review and will be available soon! This document will serve as a guide to best practices for a safe and successful in-person events and was developed with input from event planners and venue managers from across the UChicago community and University leadership. Stay tuned for the document in early Autumn 2020.
- The Event Planner Worksheet is intended to help lead event planners from Departments and Student Organizations to know what information they need to be focusing on. While it is not an all-inclusive list, this worksheet is an excellent resource for beginning to determine what you need to host a successful event.
- The Venue Manager Worksheet is a resource that the Student Centers and other venues across campus will be utilizing and bringing to the event planning conversation. While it is not an all-inclusive list, this worksheet is an excellent resource for understanding what venue managers will be considering as they begin work toward hosting a successful event.